Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hyper-V & SCVMM Error: 12700 / (0x8005) Migration Failed

Today I was testing the migration between my Hyper-V server clusters and the non-clusters Hyper-V.

The first step was to migrate from the cluster to a non-cluster server using SCVMM. The process went very well and the machine was successfully migrated between both hosts...

Then I decide to do the other way around... When the process was at 49% it crashes with the following error:

Error (12700)
VMM cannot complete the Hyper-V operation on the hv01srv.domain.tld server because of the error:
Import failed because the virtual machine must have a new identifier. Select a new identifier and try the import again.
(Unknown error (0x8005))
Recommended Action
Resolve the issue in Hyper-V and then try the operation again.

Additionally you get the EVENTID 18070 on the host where you perform the operation:
Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
Event ID: 18070
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Computer: hv01srv.domain.tld
Description: Import failed because the virtual machine must have a new identifier. Select a new identifier and try the import again.


Before telling you how to solve this, let me tell you that you can always rollback the migration process by right-clicking in the VM and choose repair and then select the Undo option and press OK. So don't panic!!!

This problem occurred because when I did the migration from the HV Cluster to the Non-HV server, the file {GUIG}.xml) that identifies the VM was not deleted from cluster node. The file is in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\{GUIG}.xml"

Note: By default the ProgramData Folder is hidden, to view this folder you must activate the option "Show hidden folders and files" under folders option menu.

To solve this error, delete the duplicated file in the destination server (if you're in a cluster configuration you may need to check all the nodes before retry the migration).

How do I know the file to delete?

Simple, on the source server open the:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\"

Do the same for the destination server and open:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\"

Now, find the file that is duplicated in both sides:

After identification of the given xml file, on the destination server, delete the duplicated file and retry the migration again and you should be able to succeed this time.

Finishing the migration process at 99% after the change...

I ran search for a fix or explanation for this behavior, but I did not find anything that explains this, I'll try to update this post latter with a possible MS fix or explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment